Domain Registration Tips
This page was created to give you ideas and point you in the right direction on domain name related information like how to choose a good domain name, find soon to expire domain names and how to backorder domain names that are already registered. We also give you information about how you could make some money buying and selling already registered domain names.
We realize this page is quite large but there is just so much information and we want to give you as much as possible to make your business a success!
These days, a good domain name is an important business asset and it could make or break an online presence. As a result of the dot COM boom in the late nineties, good domain names can sell for incredibly high amounts of money. Men.com sold for 1.3 Million dollars late December 2003 and still very high prices are paid for domain names.
Businesses now a days, especially small businesses seek a presence online. They register a domain name and build a web site offering their product. As the old saying goes – BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME – does unfortunately not apply online. There are about 10 million active web sites out there and you can almost state with 100% certainty that what ever service or product you offer, you will have hundreds or even hundreds of THOUSANDS competitors to deal with on the internet.
* There are over 37 million domain names registered
* Most products and services online are found via search engines (not banners!)
* Google is the most popular search engine – About 112 Million searches Every Day !
* Most online searchers find their answer within the first 20 results returned.
* Everyday, around 20,000 domain names expire and get deleted.
The goal of the information on this page is to give you some tips about how you can make yourself visible and found on the internet. Visibility = Visitors, Visitors = Profit.
Most links provided on this page are external links to sites we have good personal experiences or partnerships with. We can not guarantee any information on external sites to be correct and up to date.
choose a domain name
How to choose a good domain name ? It depends a bit on what your goal is. If you run a localized business (for example a window washing company), your market might assume a local country extension (a .co.uk domain name or a .nl domain
* Short ! – The shorter the name, the easier to remember and to spell, the more valuable they are ! 2 Character domain names are very rare and have been known to sell for well over $20,000 !!
* No Dashes, No Numbers ! – Short names are fine, but who can remember ‘jy-y34t.com’ ? Try to prevent going for domain names with numbers or dashes in general although sometimes it might work
(think of deals4you.com, not ideal but still marketable).
* Dictionary word domain names – These domain names are often valuable because they are rare ! Especially in the ‘.COM’ domain.
* .COM extension – This extension is the most recognizable and good sounding domain names with a .COM extension are most popular, therefore most valuable.
* Pronounceable – English pronounceable words are best if you are catering for a global market.
* Yahoo or a DMOZ listed domains or a domain with existing traffic – Existing traffic is ideal for a domain name. Any existing links already pointing at the domain name means traffic and traffic means revenue ! Use a tool like ‘Alexa.com’ to check traffic ranking and reach.
These are however just guidelines. You can still find good sellable names that do not comply with all the above rules.
rank high in search engines
If your goal is to either run a profitable online business or to sell on the domain name you’ve bought, it’s important to promote your site ! Obviously, the more visitors, the more chance of people buying your service or product. How to do this ? Achieve a high Search engine ranking !
Visitors to your Web site come from search engines and directories, and we can help you generate the visibility through better search engine ranking!
The first step would be to make sure you are listed ! There are many services out that that can guarantee you inclusion for the bigger search engines.
At FXDomains.com we offer an automated service called Search Engine Visibility. With this product, you can prepare, analyze, optimize and submit your Web pages to key search engines and directories. And we’ve made it easy: No technical expertise is needed. If you can type and click, you can use Search Engine Visibility! It offers six essential features to give your site the best chances at search engine listing:
1) Site Analysis keyed to search engine requirements. This means you’ll find the strengths – and potential weaknesses– specific to your site.
2) Site Optimization instructions that allow you to easily make the adjustments your Site Analysis suggests.
Search phrase optimization helps you fine-tune your submissions by comparing them to the related phrases actual users have searched on in the past month.
4) Automated submission to dozens of leading search engines and directories. It’s easy to use and available to you at any time at no additional charge!
5) Submission status tracking lets you review and manage all the sites you’ve submitted to, in one handy spot.
6) Traffic Essentials is a comprehensive guide to search engine optimization and the ever-changing search engine industry.
Getting included in search engines is however not enough. You will need to rank high (preferably on the first pages) of the bigger search engines for popular search phrases that your customers would use. And this is the challenge. There are really only 2 ways to achieve a high ranking. One is guaranteed, the other is based on knowledge and a percentage of luck.
Use pay-per-click services like Google adwords.
2) Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
This includes optimizing your pages so the search engines can more easily index (and rank) you for your product and your customers search phrases.
An unmissable tool to assist you with this is WordTracker which helps you find the most effective keywords to use for your site.
Link popularity is the total number of web sites that link to your site.
Because good link popularity can dramatically increase traffic to your web site. Well placed links are an excellent source of consistent and targeted traffic. And due to recent developments, they can even generate additional search engine traffic to your site. Most of the major search engines now factor Link Popularity into their relevancy algorithms. As a result, increasing the number of quality, relevant sites which link to your site can actually improve your search engine rankings. There is still no one “secret trick” to getting good rankings, but boosting your site’s popularity may give it the edge it needs. Knowing who links to your site and increasing the number of quality links is an important part of any web site promotion effort.
soon to expire domain names & domain name backorders
All the best domain names were registered a long time ago.
Every day thousands of domains are forfeited by their owners who fail to renew or pay for the domain name registration fees on their expiring domain names. This creates an incredible, yet little-known opportunity for you to own a domain that may have been registered as long as two years ago!
HOW IT WORKS:
When a domain owner fails to pay registration or renewal fees on a domain name, that domain name is placed on hold for a short period of time. If the domain name owner pays the outstanding registration fees while the expired domain is on hold, he/she may be able to regain the name. If the fees are not paid before the on hold period ends, the domain is deleted from the master domain registry. Once deleted, the domain is just like any name that is not registered: it is available for anyone to register! In fact, because many deleted domains are so valuable, they are grabbed within days or even hours of being deleted, often by domain speculators who realize they can resell the unclaimed domain for a quick and sizable profit.
Get access to domain names that have just been deleted or are expected to be deleted soon and back order them !
We can recommend the following services to help you with this:
* DomainAlert Domain Name Backordering – The FXDomains.com solution. With DomainAlert you can monitor the vital changes to ANY name registered by ANYONE at ANY registrar that might tip you off to its availability. We do the work for you! This includes email notification. You can also back order domain names (1 backorder per domain name available) for only $18.95 which includes a years registration ! You can change your DomainAlert backorder at any time to another domain name, until we sucessfully capture a name for you !
Selling your domain name
If you decide to sell your domain name, either as a one off or as a means to create some extra income in buying up domain names and selling them on for a profit, we can recommend the following, specialized domain name auction site:
Sedo.com – largest database of domain names for sale on the internet. You can sign up for free to list your domain name for sale. You pay them a commission of the final sale price when your domain names is sold through them. They also offer great domain name appraisal services so you can find out what your name is worth and set a realistic price.